The following information is for Ministry Coordinators, Ministers and Elders, to provide detail about the Selection Process listed on https://pressafe.org.au/about/selection-process/
When an individual has been identified to potentially undertake a ministry role, they must complete the following before they commence that role. This includes ANYONE involved in ANY role within a PCQ children’s ministry program or activity – whether regular, irregular or once off involvement.
➤ Be a holder of a positive Working With Children Check (unless exempt);
➤ Complete a PresSafe Agreement (available at https://pressafe.org.au/resources/):
- Agreeing to the Code of Conduct;
- Confirm suitability to work with children: Be known to the Supervisor for 12 months, or supply two referees.
➤ Undertake an interview;
➤ Complete initial PresSafe Training, and relevant annual training;
➤ Be approved and minuted as a leader or helper by your church’s Session or relevant committee.
Anyone involved with children’s ministry will need to be added to the Elvanto group ‘Safe Ministry Reporting Group‘ in order for there to be a report on where they are up to in the Selection Process and their ongoing training status. If you have any questions regarding this, please contact Stuart Hoadley at Church Offices.
Any new Elders or Committee of Management Members will need to complete this process. For existing Elders or Committee of Management members, they will need to have a positive Working With Children Check (or exemption) and complete relevant training.
|Types of Training|
Annual training is required for any person involved with children’s ministry. PCQ has four types of training for safe ministry with children. Please identify which best fits the role an individual is applying for.
BASICS – An individual in a logistical and practical support capacity for a children’s ministry activity or program. This is normally in a non-teaching role and may include involvement that is regular, irregular or once off. Someone in this role ideally professes Christian faith, but must be able to uphold the PCQ Code of Conduct for working with children.
Basics Training is also used as a ‘refresher’ in the alternate years for those who have completed PresSafe Leader training (see table below for further explanation.)
LEADER – An individual in a Bible Teaching capacity or directing activities in a children’s ministry activity or program. This person must actively profess Christian faith and uphold the PCQ Code of Conduct for working with children. This will need to be completed every three years.
COORDINATOR – An individual in an oversight capacity (Minister, Ministry Coordinator, Team Leader or similar) of a children’s ministry activity or program. This person must actively profess Christian faith and uphold the PCQ Code of Conduct for working with children. This will need to be completed every three years.
OVERSEER – An elder who does not have direct involvement with children’s ministry, but will be approving children’s ministry programs, activities and leaders.
All Elders are required to complete PresSafe Overseer Training. The only exception is where an Elder is also a Children’s Ministry Coordinator, in which case they must undertake both Leader and Coordinator training instead.
|How To Access Training|
Training can be accessed:
- In Person with a Facilitator – an Approved PresSafe Trainer will come to you and run training for you and your team.
- Online – an email can be sent from Elvanto using the appropriate template, with a link to the relevant PresSafe Training. Once completed, this will be recorded automatically in Elvanto. (See instructions below for more information about sending the email.)
- In Person using PowerPoint – PowerPoint presentations will be made available for you to running training with your team.
- Document – [BASICS & OVERSEER TRAINING ONLY]. A PDF document of the PresSafe Basics Training is available to download from the PresSafe website (https://pressafe.org.au/resources/). You will need your Elvanto login details to access these documents. An individual can read through this document to complete PresSafe Basics or Overseer Training.
PLEASE NOTE: Any training that is not completed online, will need to be recorded manually in Elvanto.
If you would like to send your leader/s to online training, you can do this by:
- Logging into Elvanto
- On the left dashboard menu, click on “People.”
- Identify and select which group or persons you want to contact.
- Click the ‘Contact People’ button in the top right of the screen.
- Select the ‘Email Only’ tab from the pop-up screen that appears.
- From the ‘Template’ drop-down menu, select “PresSafe Leader Training” or “PresSafe Basics Training.”
- After confirming you are sending to the correct recipient/s, click ‘Send’.
This will send an email to your leader/s with a link to the PresSafe Leader Training. Once your team member has completed the online training, they will have the option of downloading or printing a certificate that shows they have completed the training. Please encourage your team members to download this certificate for their personal records.
NB: Their PCQ Elvanto record will automatically be updated to indicate the completion of the PresSafe training.
If you are not using PCQ Elvanto, please contact Stuart Hoadley if you need assistance.
An important part of determining suitability of an applicant to work safely with children is conducting an interview. This does not need to be a onerous process, but demonstrates intentionality with who is involved with ministry to children. It can be tailored for specific roles and must satisfy the Ministry Coordinator or Minister that the individual is appropriate for the role. Generally an interview would take place after an individual has completed PresSafe Training.
- Confirm that an individual has a clear understanding of child safety and protection. For example: for example “How would you respond to a complaint of abuse?” or “What do you consider to be inappropriate actions or conduct with a child?”
- Confirm that an individual has a character suitable for their role working with children and the Christian context of an activity or program. (Local churches will need to outline the position criteria they require for the role being performed – this would include their understanding of the Christian faith, as relevant to their role.)
- Confirm that an individual has gifting or willingness and teachability for their role. (Local churches need to be clear what the role involves, and whether the individual is willing and able to undertake this role.)
A PresSafe Appointment Agreement assists in determining the suitability of an individual to work children within PCQ. ANYONE involved in ANY way in PCQ ministry to children must complete an Appointment Agreement. This document must be completed by a Supervisor (Ministry Coordinator or Minister) along with applicant. It provides:
- Checklist for Selection Process.
- Confirmation of a Working With Children Check.
- An opportunity for the individual to agree to the PresSafe Code of Conduct.
- Declaration of any past criminal history or complaints in relation to children.
- Referral from referee/s as to the individual’s suitability to work with children, based on past ministry or other involvements.
This document will need to be submitted to Session, along with any other supporting material, for their approval.